The lawyer of the New York maid has asked other women who claim to have been assaulted by Dominique Strauss-Kahn to step forward.

"/> The lawyer of the New York maid has asked other women who claim to have been assaulted by Dominique Strauss-Kahn to step forward.

" />
SHARE
COPY LINK

RAP

DSK ‘victims’ asked to step forward

The lawyer of the New York maid has asked other women who claim to have been assaulted by Dominique Strauss-Kahn to step forward.

DSK 'victims' asked to step forward
Guillaume Paumier

The appeal was made by Kenneth Thompson and broadcast on French TV on Tuesday evening. Thompson is acting for the 32-year old hotel maid who has accused Strauss-Kahn of attempted rape and sexual assault.

In his appeal on France 2 he said “if there is any woman out there, whether in France or in Africa, who has been sexually assaulted or sexually abused by Dominique Strauss-Kahn, I ask them to please call me.”

 

One woman who won’t be stepping forward is French writer and journalist Tristane Banon. Banon has claimed she was sexually assaulted by DSK in 2002. Her lawyer, David Koubbi, told BFM TV on Wednesday that she does not want to get involved with the American case. He said “these are two distinct cases and each case should be treated separately, according to the laws of the land concerned.”

 

Banon claimed on a French talk show in 2007 that she had been assaulted by Strauss-Kahn five years earlier. His identity was protected at the time as the programme makers beeped out his name.

 

Strauss-Kahn appeared in a New York court on Monday and pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted rape and sexual assault. The next court date is 18th July.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

MUSIC

French rapper to face trial over ‘Hang White People’ video

A little-known French rapper who caused a furore in France this week with a music video called "Hang White People" has been ordered to face trial on charges of inciting violence, legal sources said on Friday.

Nick Conrad, whose song and career had gone largely unnoticed until the video came to the public's attention this week, was interviewed by police on Friday and ordered to stand trial on January 9th.
 
The charge against him, of inciting deadly violence, carries a maximum five-year prison sentence and a fine of €45,000 (39,000 dollars).
 
The track, called PLB for “Pendez les Blancs” (Hang White People), was posted on YouTube on September 17 and garnered only a few thousands views before it was shared last weekend by a controversial comedian with a large 
online following.
 
 
After being highlighted by far-right groups in France, who regularly rail against alleged racism against white people, both the interior minister, government spokesman and politicians of all stripes condemned the video.
 
Conrad, who had an average 40 monthly listeners on Spotify and 186 subscribers to his YouTube channel before the controversy, has become the subject of widespread media coverage and public attention as a result.
 
“There will be a trial during which I hope to be received like I was today in terms of being listened to,” Conrad said after his interview with police.  “I think that a text deserves to be studied in depth, not superficially.” 
 
In scenes from the PLB video, which has since been blocked by YouTube, the rapper can be seen torturing and then hanging a white victim with a noose, in between waving a gun around and smoking a cigar.
 
The lyrics evoke the killing of adults and children with the rapper singing: “I walk into creches, I kill white babies, catch them quick and hang their parents.”
 
Conrad, who is from Paris and is of Cameroonian origin, explained to Le Parisien newspaper that he wanted to “inverse the roles of the white man and the black man” and that the “shock was intended.” 
 
Many scenes make obvious reference to the film American History X about the abuse of blacks by American neo-Nazis.
 
One collateral victim of the furore is a BBC news presenter with the same name as the French rapper who presents a radio show in the sleepy eastern county of Norfolk.
 
The British Nick Conrad, who wrote online that he was the “fatter and more talented one” of the two, has asked to be left alone after receiving death threats over social media.