Here's what we know about the nasty weather that hit parts of France and what is expected to come this week:
- A flood alert was in place on Monday for the following areas: Landes, Lot et Garonne, Gers, Pyrénées Atlantiques, Hautes Pyrénées, Haute Garonne et Tarn et Garonne.
- France Méteo has predicted more storms and heavy rain through to Wedneday in the south west.
- At least 70-90 mm of rain (up to three and a half inches) are expected over the next 48 hours in that part of France.
- High winds are also expected on the coast near Aquitane, with gusts of up 100 km/h.
- A 10-year-old girl was swept away by a flood swollen river on Saturday near Bain de Bretagne, just south of Rennes. Rescuers later found her body on a river bank.
Meanwhile in the Alps, two people were killed this weekend in avalanches. A 48-year-old man skiing off piste died Sunday at the southeastern French ski resort of Auron. On Saturday night a 41-year-old woman was cross country skiing died in the Belledonne mountain range, which is also in the southeast corner of the counrty.
Story continues below…